WHAT IS SPORTS THERAPY?
Sports Therapy is an area of allied healthcare that is exclusively concerned with the prevention of
injury and the rehabilitation of the patient back to their own levels of functional, occupation and sports specific fitness, regardless of their age and ability.
A Sports Therapist is a healthcare professional who has the knowledge, skills and ability to:
- Utilise sports and exercise principles to optimise performance, preparation and injury prevention programme’s.
- Provide the immediate care of injuries and basic life support in a recreational, training and competitive environment
- Assess, treat and, where appropriate, refer on for specialist advice and treatment
- Provide appropriate sport and remedial massage in a sport and exercise context
- Plan and implement appropriate rehabilitation programmes